DISCOVERY+ ANNOUNCES KEY PARTICIPANTS FEATURED IN UPCOMING EXPOSÉ OF THE HILLSONG CHURCH CONTROVERSY, "HILLSONG: A MEGACHURCH EXPOSED"
Los Angeles, CA - December 1, 2021 - Today, discovery+ announced key participants who are featured in the explosive three-part documentary series, HILLSONG: A MEGACHURCH EXPOSED, premiering on discovery+ in 2022. In addition to the previously announced Ranin Karim, whose five-month affair with celebrity senior pastor Carl Lentz led to his downfall, weighing in on Hillsong Church's alleged exploitation, abuse and coverups are former Hillsong pastors, volunteers who witnessed the corruption and a student who was assaulted by a Hillsong employee. The series will also examine how the star-studded Hillsong was able to grow into a global brand that attracted high-profile celebrity attendees, unearth the truth behind headlines of recent scandals and shine a light on the fine line between culture, corporation and cult.
Key participants include:
· Ranin Karim - Had a 5-month affair with Carl Lentz, which ultimately led to Lentz's termination from Hillsong
· Hannah Frishberg - New York Post reporter who has covered Hillsong's scandals and alleged abuse in the aftermath of Carl Lentz's firing
· Jaclyn Hayes - Former volunteer at Wave Church in Virginia Beach, where Carl Lentz served as a pastor prior to joining Hillsong, who alleges he exhibited controlling behavior towards her
· Janice Lagata - Former Hillsong student and volunteer who had close working relationships with Hillsong NYC's church leadership, including Carl Lentz, and who frequently raised concerns about gender and racial inequality within the church
· Ben Kirby - Author with expertise on megachurches and creator of the viral Instagram account PreachersNSneakers which chronicles the expensive wardrobe worn by some pastors
As previously announced, the docu-series will pull back the curtain and give viewers a look into the world of Hillsong, the megachurch with more than 150,000 global members that has recently come under scrutiny. HILLSONG: A MEGACHURCH EXPOSED will profile numerous ex-members of the church who have come forward en masse, to share harrowing allegations of the trauma, abuse, financial and labor exploitation and homophobia that created a culture of chaos at Hillsong.
HILLSONG: A MEGACHURCH EXPOSED is produced by Breaklight Pictures, part of The Content Group (TCG), in association with New York Post Entertainment for discovery+.
For more information on discovery+, visit discoveryplus.com. You can follow discovery+ on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok.
discovery+ is the definitive non-fiction, real life subscription streaming service. discovery+ features a landmark partnership with Verizon that gives their customers with select plans up to 12 months of discovery+ on Verizon. discovery+ has the largest-ever content offering of any new streaming service at launch, featuring a wide range of exclusive, original series across popular, passion verticals in which Discovery brands have a strong leadership position, including lifestyle and relationships; home and food; true crime; paranormal; adventure and natural history; as well as science, tech and the environment, and a slate of high-quality documentaries. For more, visit discoveryplus.com or find it on a variety of platforms and devices, including ones from Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Roku and Samsung.