NBC POSTS 47.4/70 OVERNIGHT RATING FOR EAGLES-PATRIOTS SUPER BOWL LII THRILLER
Rating Peaked at 52.2/74 in Fourth Quarter
Super Bowl LII Overnight is Most Dominant Ever Compared to NFL Playoffs - With 143% Advantage over This Year's 10 Prior Postseason Games
Super Bowl LII Up 9% from Overnight for Prior Philadelphia-New England Super Bowl
Philadelphia & Boston Both Top 55 Local Ratings, With Philadelphia Registering Its Highest Super Bowl Overnight
Twin Cities Posts 54.9/82 Local Rating, Up 14% from Prior Super Bowl in Minneapolis in January 1992
MINNEAPOLIS - Feb. 5, 2018 - Super Bowl LII, which featured the Philadelphia Eagles winning their first Super Bowl with a thrilling 41-33 victory over the defending champion New England Patriots, delivered a 47.4/70 overnight rating/share on NBC (not including digital), according to data released today by The Nielsen Company.
Last night's high-scoring game, highlighted by the most yards in any game in NFL history, peaked with a 52.2/74 overnight rating in the fourth quarter (10-10:15 p.m. ET).
· NBC's 47.4/70 for Super Bowl LII is expected to rank as the No. 1 show of the year, far outdistancing any other program on television, and producing the only overnight rating above a 28 since last year's Super Bowl (27.3/50 for AFC Championship Game on Jan. 21, 2018).
· The Super Bowl's 47.4/70 overnight on NBC tops by 143% the average overnight rating for this year's NFL Playoffs (19.5/36 for 10 games) - marking the greatest margin ever for a Super Bowl over that season's playoffs (prior best: NBC's Super Bowl XLIX in 2015 with a 128% advantage).
· Last night's 47.4/70 is nine percent higher than the overnight for the prior Eagles-Patriots Super Bowl, a three-point New England victory in February 2005 (43.4/63 on FOX).
· The Super Bowl LII overnight ranks ninth among all Super Bowls and is the third best in the 19 Super Bowls NBC has televised.
· The halftime performance by Justin Timberlake (8:15-8:30 p.m. ET) delivered a 48.1/70 overnight.
· The Eagles' 56.2/81 rating in Philadelphia ranks as the market's best for a Super Bowl.
· The 55.9/81 in Boston ranks fourth among 10 Patriots' Super Bowl appearances.
· Hosted by U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, the local rating for Super Bowl LII in the Twin Cities was a 54.9/82 - besting by 14% the 48.0/70 rating for the area's prior Super Bowl (Super Bowl XXVI in January 1992).
SECOND HALF OF SUPER BOWL LII OUTRATES FIRST HALF BY 8%: The second half of Super Bowl LII (8:30-10:30 p.m. ET) posted a 49.3/71, topping by eight percent the rating for the first half (45.5/69 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. ET).
TOP 10 METERED MARKETS FOR SUPER BOWL LII:
1. Buffalo, 56.4/78
2. Philadelphia, 56.2/81
3. Boston, 55.9/81
4. Minneapolis-St. Paul, 54.9/82
4. Pittsburgh, 54.9/73
6. Norfolk, 53.9/73
7. New Orleans, 53.0/72
8. Providence, 52.5/77
9. Milwaukee, 52.3/73
10. Seattle, 52.2/79
10. Kansas City, 52.2/73
Fast national ratings and Total Audience Delivery for Super Bowl LII will be issued late this afternoon.
NOTE: Fast Affiliate metrics issued at 11am ET will not be accurate as they do not include viewers in Mountain and Pacific Time zones watching NBC's coverage,
*Overnight ratings measure the top 56 U.S. metered markets.