CBS NEWS FINISHES 2020-2021 BROADCAST SEASON WITH FOUR #1 PROGRAMS
60 MINUTES, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, FACE THE NATION Are #1 in Their Time Periods; 48 HOURS is Saturday's #1 Non-Sports Primetime Broadcast;
CBS THIS MORNING, CBS THIS MORNING: SATURDAY,
CBS EVENING NEWS Significantly Cut Gaps with Competitors
CBS News Digital and CBSN Deliver Record Quarters
CBS News scored four #1 programs for the 2020-2021 broadcast television season, according to Nielsen most current ratings through Sunday, May 23, 2021. For the season, 60 MINUTES, FACE THE NATION, CBS SUNDAY MORNING are #1 in their time periods in total viewers, while 48 HOURS is Saturday's #1 non-sports primetime program with viewers.
All CBS News' weekday programs improved their competitive position. CBS THIS MORNING and CBS THIS MORNING: SATURDAY are set to end the season with the smallest gaps with competitors ever, since records began in 1991, in total viewers and adults 25-54. And the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL is on track to post the smallest demo gap with the NBC NIGHTLY NEWS in five years, and the thinnest margin in the adults 25-54 demo with ABC's WORLD NEWS TONIGHT in three years.
CBSN, CBS News' 24/7 streaming news service, delivered its top two quarters of all time for CBSN streams in the fourth quarter of 2020 and the first quarter of 2021, which were also the top two quarters for CBS News Digital's average monthly users.
· 60 MINUTES finished the season ranked #7 overall in viewers. For the season, the broadcast was the only primetime news program to increase audience year-over-year. 60 MINUTES was up +2% in viewers (10.71m from 10.46m) from last season. (Press Release)
· CBS SUNDAY MORNING finished the 2020-2021 broadcast television season as the #1 Sunday morning news program with viewers for its 18th consecutive year. The broadcast also marked its 646th consecutive week as #1 in viewers and its 242nd consecutive week as #1 with adults 25-54. (Press Release)
· FACE THE NATION was the most-watched Sunday morning public affairs program for the 2020-2021 television season, showing more growth in total viewers than its closest competitor, NBC. This is the first #1 rank for a season in five years, since the 2015/16 season when FACE THE NATION last ranked #1. Last Sunday was FACE THE NATION's 23rd week at the #1 rank this season among total viewers. (Press Release)
· 48 HOURS finished the 2020-2021 television season as Saturday's #1 non-sports primetime broadcast for the 15th consecutive season. For the broadcast season, CBS News' true crime docuseries delivered 3.53 million viewers, with 800,000 of them in the adults 25-54 category. (Press Release)
· CBS THIS MORNING: SATURDAY is delivering the smallest viewer and demographic gaps with SATURDAY TODAY and GMA SATURDAY ever (since its debut in 2012), according to Nielsen most current ratings. CBS THIS MORNING Saturday has cut the viewer gap with SATURDAY TODAY by 36% and with GMA SATURDAY by 13%. With adults 25-54, CBS THIS MORNING: SATURDAY has cut into SATURDAY TODAY's lead by 42% and GMA SATURDAYS's by 25%. (Press Release)
· CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL is in its strongest competitive position with "NBC Nightly News" in the key adults 25-54 demo in five years and is posting its tightest margins with "ABC World News Tonight" in two years. Over the course of the season, the flagship CBS broadcast is showing year-over-year growth in total viewers and in the demo in major markets, including New York, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Denver and Sacramento, and is regularly beating "NBC Nightly News" in New York. For the season, the broadcast is averaging 5.6 million total viewers and 1.038 million demo viewers (25-54).
· CBS THIS MORNING is delivering the narrowest season-to-date gaps with the competition in total viewers and the key 25-54 demographic dating back to 1991, when electronic records were first kept, according to most current ratings through May 23. CBS THIS MORNING improved its competitive share this season versus last in total viewers and the demo, moving up one percentage point to 29% and 24%, respectively. (Press Release)
· CBSN, CBS News' 24/7 streaming news service, continues to drive strong viewership, with the fourth quarter of 2020 and the first quarter of 2021 now ranking as the #1 and #2 quarters of all time for CBSN streams, respectively. CBS News Digital also continues to draw record traffic overall, with the fourth quarter of 2020 and first quarter of 2021 ranking as the #1 and #2 quarters respectively for average monthly users. For the two quarters combined, both CBSN streams and CBS News Digital average monthly users were up triple-digit percentages year-over-year.
Follow CBS News on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and CBSNews.com.